Saturday, March 13, 2010

White sauce, Bucket delivery, & recipe revisions

Hello to all my friends...

Hope you are having a great day!


Let's talk about the buckets of food for preparedness: I'm taking all your last minute orders until Wednesday. Jim will be taking several trips to pick up all the buckets on Friday and Saturday (yes, there are that many!). He'll deliver them to my house. So, on Saturday, I will begin deliveries. If you are in a RUSH, and you need them first, you are welcome to come to my house to get them. If you've got some time leeway, I'll bring them to you.


Checks are made out to Food for Health, International.


Your response has been great and I'm excited to have so many of us ready. Yay, us!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Recipes- Eat what you store, Store what you eat. These recipes are my attempt to "Eat what I store"... Hope this adventure helps you too.

How did the recipes go last week? Did anyone try to make the Blueberry muffins, the Lentil (Palestine) Soup or the Broccoli Cheese soup? I'll tell you my experience, but I'd like yours as well.

Blueberry Muffins: Yep, a hit. Kids loved them. I purchased the freeze dried Blueberries (the 10# can was around $32!! Yikes!) but these muffins were good. I completely omitted the Streusel topping. I also cut the sugar to 3/4 cup total and they were still plenty sweet. I also did 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour.

So here's my changes:

Saria's Revised Food storage Blueberry Muffins

  • 3 cups blueberries reconstituted & drained
  • 2 cups flour (wheat works!)
  • 1/2 cup butter reconstituted
  • 1/2 cup milk reconstituted
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tbs egg powder + 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Cream Butter & Sugar. Add egg powder & water; mix. Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) add milk. Lastly, add blueberries. Mix. Put in muffin papers. Makes about 18 muffins.

Bake at 375 for 18 minutes.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Broccoli Cheese Soup: I cheated. I personally do not like processed cheese so I substituted processed cheese for regular yummy cheddar cheese. I also added: peppers, carrots, & celery. When all the ingredients were softened, I ran the soup through the blender to puree the soup. (This hides the variety of veggies I'm making my kids eat. And what they don't know, limits their complaints. :) All in all, not bad soup. We could definitely eat this and stay alive.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lentil soup: I'm going to have to get back to you one this one. I didn't get to it this week, so you'll get feedback next week. Sorry!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

How about you? Which recipes did you bake?? did they work for you? Please share your feedback.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

NEW RECIPES:

Ok, I told you briefly about the White Sauce Mix. This is a mix you prepare, store in your fridge and use as needed. It's versatile and great. I'll give you the White Sauce recipe then we'll go into all the things to do with it...

White Sauce Base

  • 2 cups instant nonfat dry powdered milk
  • 1 cup flour (If you use whole wheat like I do, your white
    sauce will have a creamy sand color)
  • 2 tsp salt
    1 cup butter

In a large bowl, combine milk powder, flour, salt. Mix
well. With a pastry blender, cut in your butter until mixture resembles fine
crumbs. Store mixture in airtight container in fridge. Lasts 2+ months.
(This whole recipe makes 8 cups white sauce.)


Now, on to what to use this with:

  1. Cream of Chicken Soup
  2. Eastern Corn Chowder
  3. Hearty New England Clam Chowder
  4. Ham & Cheese Roll Ups
  5. Potatoes Au Gratin
  6. Chicken enchiladas a la gringo
  7. Creamed Eggs
  8. New Potatoes & Peas
  9. ??? What else??

Cream of Chicken Soup

  • 3 Cups Chicken Bouillon Cubes
  • 3 cups Hot Water
  • 1 1/2 Cups White Sauce Mix
  • 1 cup minced cooked chicken
  • 1/2 cup celery chopped
  • 1/2 cup onion chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 4 cups milk (reconstituted)
  • 1 egg yolk beaten

Dissolve chicken bouillon in hot water in large pot. Add white sauce mix, cooking over low-med heat for about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add veggies & chicken & salts. Cook 15 minutes more to soften veggies. Blend in milk & egg yolk. Simmer 5 minutes more. Serve.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Eastern Corn Chowder

  • 5 slices bacon
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 potatoes, diced
  • water
  • 2 cups milk reconstituted
  • 1 cup white sauce mix
  • 1 can cream style corn (17 oz)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste

In your pot, cook your bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside. Drain off most grease, leave enough to brown onion in. After onion is browned, add potatoes & enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes- until potatoes are cooked.

While your potatoes are cooking, in a separate sauce pan, combine the milk & white sauce milk over med heat until thick & smooth. Pour into potato mix. Add corn, salt, pepper. Cook 10 more minutes. Serve.

I like to garnish with crumbled bacon or grated cheese.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ok, last recipe for tonight... I'll give you more recipes next week...

Hearty New England Clam Chowder

  • 2 cans minced clams (approx 14 oz total)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 2 cups diced potatoes
  • water
  • 1 1/2 cups white sauce mix
  • 4 cups milk reconstituted
  • salt & pepper to taste

Drain clams BUT save the juice. In your soup pot, combine clam juice, onions, celery & potatoes. Add just enough water to cover the veggies. Cook at medium heat for 15 minutes. While veggies are cooking, combine your milk & white sauce mix in a separate pan over low heat until thick & smoooooth.

Then add white sauce/milk smooth to the veggies in your soup pot. Add clams & seasonings. Cook for another 15 minutes & serve.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

We have lots more recipes, BUT we need to pace ourselves. More to come next week. And honestly, the enchiladas a ala gringos is THE hit at our house. Now you have a recipe to look forward to!

Action items for this week:

  1. Get your last minutes orders for buckets.
  2. Try some new recipes. Let us know how the recipes went.
  3. Get your garden area soil ready. (I'm going to try to!)
  4. And, Be Happy because I like you!

@@@@@

In order to succeed, you must fail, so you know what not to do the next time. -Anthony d'Angelo

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. -Milton Berle

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Neither does bathing. That's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all your hard work! I am looking forward to more of your yummy try's!- C.

    ReplyDelete