Sunday, January 31, 2010

Barreled Over

Hello and happy day!

Thanks to everyone who wants a water barrel. Our orders topped over 178 water barrels. You are all helping scouts get their Eagle awards! Thank you.

Either myself or Connor Henderson (Eagle scout-to-be) will be contacting you regarding delivery and payment. The water barrels are expected to be delivered this week- (Feb 1 - Feb 4).

*********************
Dried Eggs

Here's my food storage theory: I don't want to store it if I don't like it. This has naturally forced me to try new things as we expand our variety in food options.

I've always been nervous about dried eggs. They just seem so "M*A*S*H"- you know: tasteless Vietnam war "food" that the soldiers had to eat.

But I need an egg option for when I can't get fresh eggs.

So I bought a #10 can of Dried Eggs from Maceys. And it has been glaring at me from the shelf for a few months now. So, in all truth, I put a can of dried peppers in front of it. Out of sight, out of mind? Not really.

This week, in talking to another food storage believer, she mentioned that she actually cooks with dried eggs. This gave me courage. her children are alive. her husband still loves her. Perhaps, I could too.

This morning I made breakfast muffins for my kids with Powdered Eggs. ( I know- I'm starting small.. but at least I'm starting.)

The verdict is: They couldn't tell. They ate the muffins. We renamed them the "Honey Bear" Muffins because they are brown like bears and have honey in them.



Here's the recipe I used:
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
1 ¼ c whole wheat flour
¾ c quick oats
1/3 c brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp soda
½ tsp salt

2 eggs (2 T. dry egg powder + 1/4 c. water)
1 c pumpkin
1/3 c veg. oil
1/3 c honey (I used reconstituted powdered honey)

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix until moist. Spoon into muffin cups. May be refrigerated overnight and cooked in the morning.
Bake 400ยบ for 15-20 min.
******************
More Eggs?
Yes, so with 1 victory under my belt, I will try another powdered egg replaced in a recipe on my unsuspecting family. And I will report back to you with my results.

The reasons to love powdered eggs (according to Crystal-EverydayFoodStorage.net) are:
Key Points:
  • Never run out of eggs again. The cans come with an average equivalent of 226 eggs (18 dozen) in each can.
  • They are cheaper. The average price for powdered eggs in $17.00 per can (cheaper here in Utah)- which makes each dozen eggs 94 cents.
  • Very easy to use. The conversion is 1T. egg powder + 2 T. Water for a medium egg. For a large egg: 2 T. egg powder + 1/4 cup water. Just add the powder and water to your recipe- can be separate!
  • Recipes can be halved!! You can make 1/2 an egg!

******************
Medium Term Food Storage- Hormel Chili?

We talked about Long term Food stuffs: Wheat, Rice, etc. We covered short term foods: fruits in cans, peanut butter...
Could there be such a thing as medium term? Here's a contender: Hormel Chili.
Hormel labels their chili (Also branded as Stagg Chili) with an expiration date of 3 years. BUT according to their customer service, their canned chili will last indefinitely. Now, this is with the exclusionary statement: "For best flavor and food texture, Hormel recommend using the Chili products within the 3 years." But this Chili can and does last longer! Good to know!
How do they do it? They vacuum pack all the cans of chili and because the chili is processed as such high temperatures, the chili lasts longer and longer and longer.
--please note: this indefinite lasting DOES NOT include their products in glass jars, their meats in cans or glass jars or canned hams.
As where can I get Hormel chili at a good price, you ask? Well, Until Tuesday February 2 at Midnight, you can buy Hormel Chili at Smiths for 79 cents a can. (But you have to buy 10. Or at least 10 qualifying items to get the "instant rebate".) The Hormel chili deal is part of Smith Buy 10 and save and SOMETIMES they extend the sale for more than 1 week. If they do, I'll let you know.

****************
Action items
This week: Get ready to receive your water barrel. Also, try to cook with powdered eggs.

In Next week's Cupboard: Laundry detergent update! (New & Improved!) More powdered egg recipes.


One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings. -Diogenes of Sinope

I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde.


Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde.

Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.—African proverb

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.- St. Thomas Aquinas



No comments:

Post a Comment